Friday, June 17, 2005

Nature fights back

Another lunchtime bike ride to Woodston Ponds NR. Unfortunately in shorts I was ill prepared for the onslaught. The nettles were all over the paths but I managed to avoid most and realised a little late that the slight stinging on my legs was not nettles but a mass of biting migdes. Add to that the hayfever and clipping my shin on the bike I looked like I had been in a war by the time I got back.

Anyway the dragonflies were quite good with all of the following seen from the bridge over inlet between Thorpe Meadows and the ponds.
Emperor Dragonfly (Anax imperator)
Hairy Dragonfly (Brachytron pratense)
Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum)
Banded Demoiselle (Calopteryx splendens)
Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas)
Blue-tailed Damselfly (Ischnura elegans)
Common Blue Damselfly (Enallagma cyathigerum)

The pictures are all of creatures disturbed from the undergrowth and snapped in between sneezing fits. Click for larger images.

Flame Shoulder (Ochropleura plecta)


Common Frog (Rana temporaria)


Black-tailed Skimmer (Orthetrum cancellatum), teneral (male - thanks Steve)


Nikon CP995

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hi Bri, its a teneral (pale eyes) male (anal appendages). Toadsnatcher