Sunday, May 09, 2010

Bedford Purlieus

There have been too many birds on this blog of late so it's time to redress the balance a bit. This collection was snapped at Bedford Purlieus in unexpectedly fine weather today. The Slow Worm was one of three seen and the hoverfly one of many. The latter is assignable to ribesii as it is a female and I can just about make out all-yellow hind femurae.

The longhorn moth is another female, the male would have antennae 2-3 times longer!

Slow Worm Anguis fragilis


Adela reaumurella, female


Speckled Wood Pararge aegeria


Yellow Archangel Lamiastrum galeobdolon


Early Purple Orchid Orchis mascula


Syrphus ribesii, female


Canon Powershot SX10

2 comments:

leh said...

Great photos! (And I really appreciate that you identify your subjects.) I can't remember how I found you, but you're bookmarked and I've been checking back periodically. Just wanted to comment and let you know I really like your work.

Brian said...

Kind words indeed. Glad you enjoy the posts.