Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Western Conifer Seed Bug

This large (18mm body and head) bug appeared in my office near the centre of Peterborough today. Checking on British Bugs it turns out to be an adventive species in the Coreidae (Squashbug) family. It is native to the western USA and first arrived in Europe in 1999. The last couple of years have seen increasing records in the UK but this could well be the first anywhere near here.

Not knowing what it was, I let it go, which sort of makes me a criminal apparently as it is against the law to release non-native animals. Fortunately you have to know what it is and it's taken me a while to get around to sorting out the ID.

Western Conifer Seed Bug Leptoglossus occidentalis

Canon Powershot A640

3 comments:

Skev said...

This species reached here in south Leicestershire last year, so the exapansion is pretty rapid. We took c10 at Dungeness whilst moth trapping a couple of years ago.

Brian said...

Thanks for that Mark.

Puppy Love Petwear said...

Hi!

I have one of these little chaps in a tupperware container...am trying to find out what I should do with him. At first I was concerned he was a longhorn and had been munching the house... :P I live in the centre of Northampton in a top floor flat.